News

WELCOME to the News page of the South Devon Group of the Ramblers

(last updated 10th May 2017)

TEMPLER WAY

 

This 18 mile walk from Haytor to Teignmouth traces the route used to bring granite from the quarries and is a scenic trail linking Dartmoor to the South Devon Coast. It is relatively easy being downhill for much of the way but the stretch along the river Teign can be slippery and obviously needs to be done at low tide. More information www.teignbridge.gov.uk

South Devon Ramblers have walked this trail most years and Les G tells me the dates for 2017 are likely to be either Saturday 15 or Saturday 29 July. He is checking on bus times for the Countrybus which takes walkers to the start. Date to be confirmed nearer the time. Further details from Les G  lgrant254@btinternet.com Tel 01626 361458

 

SUE HOBBS WALK 27 APRIL 2017 - additional information 

The morning train can be caught from Newton Abbot, Totnes and Plymouth which could be an easier option to some. 

TRAINS; A day return ticket from Totnes to Lostwithiel departing from Totnes at 8.49am   

Arrives at Bodmin Parkway 10.02am. Start walk through Lanhydrock Estate, Restormel, Lostwithiel. Approx 7 miles Train departing from Lostwithiel at 14.55pm, change at Plymouth arrives Totnes at 16.28pm 

COST : £9.20 return with a rail card.    Members bring Nat.Trust cards 

As there is no restriction on which return train we use, there is a later train departing at 15.58pm from Lostwithiel.

I look forward to seeing everyone at 8 40am on Thurs 27th April, any enquiries phone Sue Hobbs on 01803 865716 

 

 

 

 

MINUTES of the Committee Meeting Tuesday 24 January 2017


Present: Bernard Parker (BP); Tessa Smith (TS); Celia Broom (CB); Dorothy Webley (DW); Eric Evans (EE); Keith Probert (KP); Alan Robinson (AR); Rosie Rayner (RR); Paddy Jewry (PJ); Val Rose (VR).
1. Welcome and apologies
Maggie Cahm sent her apologies.
BP welcomed all, extending a warm welcome to new members of the committee.

2. Minutes of the last meeting
All action points were covered.

3. Matters arising and Action Points (APs) – unless APs are covered in advance (if possible, to keep the meeting to a reasonable length) in members’ reports or in agenda items
The minutes of the meeting held on Tuesday 25 October 2016 were signed as a true record of the meeting.

4. Deer Park Lane update (KP, BP, AR)
Several emails and reports had been circulated prior to the meeting. BP outlined his lengthy meeting with Devon County Council and referred to the quotation for the work. He pointed out that the Council bear no liability for this crossing as it is not a Right of Way but they acknowledged it was a dangerous crossing for walkers. AR reiterated his point about the very real risks to walkers at Deer Park once the vegetation further reduces safety.
The work amounts to approximately £5,000
BP stressed the importance of keeping the momentum on this issue. He outlined a possible reply to the council which he will draft and KP, CB and AR will review. How much of the cost will be borne by the Council remains to be seen.
ACTION POINT: BP to reply to DCC to take things a step further.
KP added that they were asked to raise any other similar issues and as a result, a footway between Kingskerswell Church and Maddicombe Bridge will also be considered.

KP enlightened the committee on progress on the Kennels Rd crossing. The outcome of his meeting with Keith Rennells 19/1/17, recorded in his emails, was very positive for this dangerous crossing also to see improvement this year.
ACTION POINT : AR to liaise with Keith Rennells regarding Mill Lane as in AR’s report.
KP also wished to record the work done and by Peter Butler in the JMHT work. KP expressed his thanks to Peter who has photographed the JMHT information boards in his studio and on site at Berry Pomeroy so that we now have a record from which to produce additional boards in case of future loss or vandalism. CB, AR and KP now hold the picture files on a memory stick. Peter has been thanked and the Committee is grateful for his contribution to our work.

5. Authorisation of Purchases: draft policy to be discussed/approved
This matter was initially raised by the independent reviewer George Coles.
It was agreed to formally minute the appointment of Matt Day as webmaster as this is a significant invoice.
After some discussion the policy was accepted as suitable without being restrictive to the day to day running of the group.
ACTION POINT:TS to print off and file the copy of the policy which incorporates edits suggested by MC

6. Website
Once again BP consulted with the committee to check they agreed with the need to retain our own website and the need to update. This found agreement. The proposed cost was also discussed and the committee endorsed the suggestion made by CB for a three way split of costs so that the various activities and requirements of the group were met equitably.
ACTION POINT: BP to approach Matt Day and ask him to begin work while keeping us fully informed as to progress and costs
BP, TS and EE will work on this project. TS suggested RR have a look at the website to see if she feels it is meeting needs – as a relative newcomer she is well placed to have an objective view as Janet Evans’ comments had been very worthwhile.
ACTION POINT: RR to have a good look at the SDR website and make any suggestions she has.
EE is interested in seeing if there is a mechanism by which SDR walks can be uploaded to Walksfinder without having to key them in line by line. TS suggested EE speak to Janice W as Plymouth group has managed to do this.
ACTION POINT: EE to discuss uploading walks with Matt Day and possibly Janice W

7. AGM 2017
This will be on Wednesday 8 November at the Redcliffe Hotel, Paignton in the Isadora Duncan Suite. The committee decided to forego a speaker this year and for the sake of reducing the length of the meeting TS suggested she and Bernard ‘top and tail’.
Further discussion centred around ways to reduce the overall time. BP felt that, like the new version of the Impact Report, brevity had merit.
It was agreed to revisit this point at the next meeting when a bulleted ‘all inclusive’ format would be considered.
AGENDA ITEM for APRIL MEETING

8. Holiday 2018
Preparations for 2017 to Brittany are well underway as is documented in BP’s report.
Destinations for 2018 were considered but first a decision on who is to organize needs to be made.
BP asked if the committee favoured a number of short breaks rather than one main holiday. DW and VR voiced the opinion that an annual get together was enjoyed by a large number.
Various models were considered.
ACTION POINTS: TS to place a notice on the website inviting members to volunteer to organize a holiday. It had been pointed out that this is how it used to operate and some groups work to this model.
KP: to explore HF holiday possibilities and come up with some suggestions.
VR: to similarly explore Rambler Holidays
PJ: Ireland!
TS: to resurrect an offer that came for a break in Bulgaria!
KP offered to plan a short break in which members might drive to the destination as was done in other years. Malta was also suggested.
AGENDA ITEM for APRIL MEETING


9. Communications 2017 (TS)
BP handed to TS a list of members’ contact details with a view to building a database.
TS explained she had drafted a brief Data Protection policy which she would send out to members for their perusal. ACTION POINT
The chairman also commended the secretary on her efficiency in composing and producing several policy documents over the last few months.

10. Any other business
• PR EVENTS TS raised the matter of the ERTC event held annually in the Spring. Costs had risen steeply and as a result it was felt we should not support this year.
There was little enthusiasm for the Totnes Show either and we decided not to promote Ramblers this year there.
All agreed to look out for events at which to promote Ramblers.
• BP aired his concerns over a recent health and safety issue. As a result it was decided to continue to encourage the use of the medical forms in plastic wallets. Also it was agreed it would be good practice to have as a general measure the appointment of a middle marker when the group numbered more than 20
The role of the back marker should also be emphasized in the light of the recent worry. Ideally the backmarker should carry a whistle.
All of these guidelines can be incorporated into the leaders’ notes which will be on the new website.
• PJ highlighted the First Aid course scheduled for 3 November 2017 outlining the proposed arrangements for the day and the costs incurred, approximately £280 All agreed this is an excellent way to use residual funds in the Mike Mason legacy. This is to be a members only event and limited to 20 maximum.
• KP queried the change from an Annual dinner to a Christmas lunch. Reasons were given and the change was met with general approval. Even if it deterred some from attending, others would favour a daytime event.


11. Date for next meeting
Tuesday 11 April 6.30 for 7pm start at the Paignton Club


...............................................................................................................................................

HOLIDAYS 2017 and 2018

 A committee meeting of the SDR was held on 24 January 2017. Minutes will be posted later this month.

One action that stems from the meeting is a decision to appeal to members about 2018

Plans for the Annual Walking Holiday 2017 to Britanny are progressing well and take up has been excellent with few places left. Chris W and Bernard are planning to go over to Britanny to recce some lovely routes.

It is time to think about 2018. In fact we need to be getting on with this as finding a suitable hotel for a large number can be challenging.

We no longer have a Holiday Coordinator as such and the committee would like to ask if there is any member who would like to organise a walking break, short or long, UK or overseas. Support can be given but basically the onus would be on the volunteer to do much of the organisation. Recce volunteers are usually forthcoming!

The committee is looking into other options, eg HF holidays, or self drive breaks but the aim is to make a firm decision on 2018 at the next committee meeting 11 April 2017. 

If you feel you would like to volunteer to organise a holiday, please get in touch with Bernard or myself. Any offers will then be put to the committee for their consideration.

 

Tessa S

 


The Walks Leader Form for the Summer Walks, May to October 2017, is now available for download from the INFO section of the website.

 

..................................................................................................................................

 

The minutes of the Annual General Meeting - Download PDF here

NAVIGATION course

Chris Wood has confirmed the map reading course will be run once more in 2017 on Tuesday 9 and Tuesday 16 May 2017.

Venue: Paignton Sailing Club. Time to be confirmed but evening. After the two sessions a practical day on the Moor will be agreed with participants to put their learning into practice with help and support all along the way!

If you would like to gain some confidence in reading a map, or you would like to be better able to find your way to a walk, or you want to become a walk leader, this is a great starting point. No previous experience is necessary, there is no testing, no pass or fail, just help and support. I can report from personal experience that Chris is very patient!

If you think this is something for you, please speak to Chris or myself to be sure of a place.

If you want to do something even earlier about your map reading, checkout the Ramblers Roadshow in Honiton on Saturday 25 February. Details of this event with its many workshops can be found at

http://www.ramblers.org.uk/volunteer-zone/support-and-development/ramblers-roadshow-events.aspx

NB this is not a link. You will need to copy and paste into your browser. 

Details of the Roadshow will be emailed to all members in November 2016.  

 

 

.................................................................................................................................................

Two Moors Way

There is now a website for the Two Moors Way www.twomoorsway.org

.................................................................................................................................................

Stop Press

              Full details for the final leg of the Offas Dyke Project - OD7 -  are to be found in the Excursion Section. If you would wish to participate please contact Bernard P.

......................................................................................................................................

 

HEALTH and SAFETY ISSUE

The committee have responded to suggestions that it is deemed advisable for members to carry essential information when walking. Fortunately instances of a rambler having an accident or falling ill are very rare and we are well versed in how to contact emergency services. However, essential medical information would also be helpful in these cases and it would also be good to know who to call and have this information readily to hand.

A simple information sheet is now available and being given out by Val. We have also sourced an A6 size clear plastic pocket to hold the sheet and keep it dry. The information you provide is seen only in an emergency by those who are at the scene.

There is no cost to members, nor is it in any way compulsory but we all feel this is a very sensible precaution to take.

Any further info from any member of the committee.

..............................................................................................................................................

MINUTES of the 32nd ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING of the SOUTH DEVON RAMBLERS held on Tuesday 10 November 2015 in the Cockington Suite at The Livermead House Hotel


1.    Welcome and apologies
Apologes received: L. Bruce; D Cockman; J Went; C and A Grant
The meeting was attended by 60 members and invited guests.
            
2.    The minutes of the last meeting were affirmed and signed as a true record of the meeting.
        
3.    Matters arising.
There were no matters arising.    
            
4.    Chairman’s report
Bernard gave a visual presentation which focussed on an overview of the year. He drew attention in particular to successes such as the Mike Mason memorial event and to current initiatives, such as the John Musgrave Tenth Anniversary celebrations and the Big Pathwatch, deferring to committee members who would go into more detail.
                

5.    Secretary’s report
Tessa illustrated her activities over the year which included participation at national, area and group level. She underlined the fact that the great satisfaction she derives as Secretary comes essentially from the walking as much as the awareness that she is contributing to the very worthwhile Rambler cause.

6.    Treasurer’s report (see full report in minutes book)                
Signed copies of the accounts were circulated.
Celia explained that the surplus held in the main account was in keeping with the guidelines issued by Central Office. She reminded members to nominate SDR when booking holidays with our partner organisation Ramblers Worldwide so that the club may benefit from a commission.
Celia also explained how the various social activities are self-funding as far as possible and that the current positive position is largely due to monies received in advance of the next section of Offa’s Dyke.

Jack R asked if the John Musgrave legacy could yield a better rate of interest. Celia explained the steps she was taking to try and improve this. She is awaiting a response from Central Office. Carole Woolcott pointed out the restrictions imposed on SDR as a registered charity.
Celia thanked George Coles in his absence for his work as independent examiner of the accounts.


7.    Footpath Officer
Alan’s fifth year as Footpath Officer had been a particularly busy one as evidenced by the handout he circulated of his 25 undertakings. His witty visual presentation referred amongst other things to the 500 metre diversion of the John Musgrave Heritage Trail through Kerswell Downs, a route he felt adds to the enjoyment of the trail.
Alan focussed on the Big Pathwatch – the challenge, the rationale and progress to date. He thanked the 8 members who had helped with the grid squares and urged a wider take up for the 61 days remaining. So far all 93 priority squares had been logged; there remain 122, though these are admittedly not seen as priority.


8.    John Musgrave Heritage Officer
Keith reported firstly on the commemorative walks, support for which had been rather uneven. He highlighted the walk planned for April 2016, outlining arrangements for the day. This is to be an inclusive event with walks of various lengths. It is hoped that some old friends will join us on the day and an invitation list will be drawn up soon.
Keith paid tribute to John Musgrave and to Stan Vass, two former members both of whom in their own way had had such a lasting impact on South Devon Ramblers.
Keith also mentioned his gratitude to Alan and Celia with whom he has worked on new projects.
Lastly he introduced a monitoring scheme with which he intends to engage more members as custodians of the Trail. He asked for people to adopt 2-3 mile sections and explained how he would run the scheme with help of the volunteers.
Don M commented on the significant cost of the Trail and raised the question of its popularity. In the discussion that ensued, the steady demand for booklets was given as evidence that people did enjoy the Trail. Robert Woolcott  suggested a sensitive footplate could be one way to assess take up. Alan suggested an informal head count by those who were doing the monitoring as a  useful start. Further support for the view that the Trail was enjoyed by significant numbers was afforded by John M who reported good sized groups on his walks along sections of the JMHT.

9.    Membership Secretary    
Dorothy reported on figures from Central Office which show the level of membership remaining static. The walks are well supported and only 3 were cancelled during the course of the year. She gave impressive figures for the combined mileage walked by the members.    

10.    Social events    
Val R reminded the members that the programme of social events was the result of a team of three. The social calendar 2015 had been well supported and Val reminded the audience of the events enjoyed over the 12 months. She went on to outline events planned for 2016
John M asked if there was to be a coach trip again and Val affirmed that this was yet to be planned.


11.    Holidays
Les G listed the holidays enjoyed 2015: Offa’s Dyke and Brittany, applauding the work done by Chris Wood and Bernard to make the holiday such a success. He also recorded the fact that longer trails had been walked: the Templer Way and the Abbots Way.
For 2016 a further leg of the Offa’s Dyke will be completed bringing us well on the way to completing the 177 mile distance. The annual holiday will be in Cornwall and flyers for this were circulated.
Further ahead, the destination for 2017 is likely to be the Yorkshire Dales.

12.    Walks Co-ordinator
Neil reported succinctly on the compilation of the programme, emphasising the importance of members offering walks. At the moment, too many walks are being led by a group of 4. He expressed satisfaction at the fact that new leaders were coming forward. He also outlined the schedule for the summer programme, the forms for which will be issued in January so there was a plea for members to start their recce work well in advance.
Neil thanked Tessa for her support when he had no internet and also his wife Sue who had been an invaluable helpmate in inputting the data.

    SHORT BREAK
                
13.    Speaker: John Risdon
John R took up the route where he left off last time, leading members on an armchair ramble from Totnes to Brixham via ’Ditt’sm’. Weaving into his narrative historical facts about the area and showing graphically how much and yet how little has changed over the years, we were all left hungry to get back out on to our JMHT in 2016!
John was invited to take part in the Tenth Anniversary celebrations and was promised a cream tea. Keith reminded us all that it was John who had penned much of the text for the booklet. In thanking John, Bernard reiterated the value of the Trail to SDR.
        
14.    Health and Safety
Val reminded us all of the importance of the EHIC and travel insurance, recommending strongly that members keep themselves up to date on both. She emphasised the fact that the EHIC scheme varies from country to country and that there had been changes. It was important, she said, to check the expiry date and a telephone number was given: 01 912 181 999
Another point made was the importance of checking carefully travel insurance policy documents and in particular the declaration of pre-existing conditions.
Members were reminded that a Refund and Cancellation policy was on the website and it was vital to check that to be fully aware of the policy operating.
Arthur H expressed his concern over the 3 fold increase in cases of tics and ensuing problems. All are reminded of the risks of walking in shorts!



15.    Election of Officers

The election results are set out in table below.
NB As members of the committee had agreed to stand again and there were no other nominations, it was agreed it was appropriate to re-elect some members en bloc. Those members marked * were all proposed by John Mellor and seconded by Chris Coote





OFFICE                  NAME                     PROPOSER                   SECONDER

Chair              Bernard Parker               Reg Tarling                   Chris Wood

Secretary        Tessa Smith              Richard Eastment           Margaret English

Treasurer        Celia Broom                   Cris El Nahas              Robert Woolcott

Membership Secretary*           Dorothy Webley

Walks Coordinator*                  Neil Kendrick        

Footpath Officer*                    Alan Robinson            

Social Committee*        Les Grant, Jackie Mann, Paddy Jewry, Val Rose        

John Musgrave Heritage Officer*    Keith Probert        

 

                                                       PROPoSER                        SECONDER

Auditor              George Coles          Tessa Smith                      Neil Kendrick                                

16.    Any other business


No motions had been received.
A point of information about a walk was received from Richard E. A note about this will appear on the website.


The meeting ended at 21.53.

 

.................................................................................................................................................

 

Warning of Criminal Activity

Two vehicles were damaged, one severely, while left in the Brownstone Car Park last Sunday. One will involve the replacement of the passenger door skin. There was also positive evidence of tampering with the door lock on the second vehicle. You are respectfully advised to remove and transfer all personal posessions to the boot space of your vehicle when parking in these remote areas.

Bernard 24/6/2014

...............................................................................................................................................               

Walks Programme Changes

It may be necessary at times to change arrangements for a walk due to various but valid reasons such as: weather conditions, change of start point, change of time, or a walk introduced after the publish date of the walks programme. Please check the Walks Programme page and the News page regularly for any such changes.

.......................................................................................................................................................


Walks Partnership:  www.thewalkingpartnership.org.uk.

 South Devon Ramblers has recently joined The Walking Partnership. This new partnership, supported by Ramblers Worldwide Holidays, provides direct financial contributions to our group  to help with organising group walks, encouraging people to get out walking, helping to clear and improve footpaths, providing equipment to help walkers etc. Over the past  65 years, Ramblers Worldwide Holidays has given many millions of pounds to assist walking charities and conservation projects in Britain and the countries they visit on their worldwide holidays. Now our group can benefit directly.

Ramblers Worldwide Holidays operate group walking holidays in the UK and all around the world. Each holiday is accompanied by a qualified walks leader, so you can leave all the organising to them and just enjoy meeting like minded people and of course, some fantastic walking. Holidays are graded in terms of difficulty, and there is a full range from sightseeing right up to hut-to-hut mountain treks. Take a look at their website on www.ramblersholidays.co.uk or give them a call on 01707 33113 

Remember when you book to quote the name of our group, and we will then receive a contribution of £10 per person on UK holidays, £20 per person on short haul holidays, and £30 per person on long haul holidays. This extra funding could really make a difference to us!

..........................................................................................................................................................

Developed, Written & Maintained by Binary Integration